Today we are at just over 16 weeks (16 weeks and 2 days). We had an appointment this morning to get the results of all the lab work we've had done and to hear the heartbeat for the first time. Everything was fine on the lab results, and Emily actually had lower blood pressure than her first visit. The Dr. told us she was very pleased with how everything looked.
The fetal heart rate was 164. Again, Dr. Allen said it sounded great and everything was normal.
I know - the old wives' tale says if the heart rate is above 140 you are having a girl. But, the Dr. told us her own baby was below 140 and it was a girl. But, we will be finding out on February 24 either way.
Emily still isn't showing and the Dr. again said for a person like Emily who is tall and a first time mom, she most likely won't start to show until around month 6 or 7. Lower limit weight gain on pregnancy is 5.5 lbs at this stage and she's at 6 lbs. So, things are great there as well. And I am certain this will be the last time I report on overall baby weight seeing how Im not allowed within 20 feet of the scale as of this visit.
Emily has A- blood type, which is considered a rare blood type (interesting fact, nothing else). Where I am A+. So, as a result we have to take some steps to try and avoid Hemolytic disease (particularly if we have a second child). So, if you are not familiar with this - it's basically making sure that since Emily is Rh negative and I am Rh positive that during the birthing process that baby's red blood cells don't cross into Emily's Rh negative blood. Emily will be getting the RhoGam shot to take care of this in the 28th week. Dr. Allen also said they'd be taking extra precautions during the delivery as well. Not a big deal - check and check.
I think Emily has done a great job with exercising and eating healthy and as the days go I see some of the cravings. I dont think she sees them as cravings, but if that's not what they are, then I don't know what a craving is apparently. Current list includes: Grapefruit with brown sugar heated in the oven (I got nothing - never heard of this but she swears by it), Potatoes, Cereal (honey nut anything), and now turnips. She had some at mom's and repeated how good they were all evening. Good job, Mom. But turnips?
As far as the nursery goes, we are still waiting until we know if it's a boy or a girl. However, a lot has to be done (finish floors, build extra shelves in the closet, etc) so I put everything in MS project to keep track of when I have to get all the tasks done. Our goal is to have it done and ready on June 13. I've told Emily that once she makes the decisions, she has to stay out until it's done. Then I can have a big reveal for her. I know someone else who did all their tasks in MS Project. So Brent, let's whip out our Gantts and compare. I'll bet mine is bigger than yours. :o)
Will update again if something interesting happens or when we know something on Feb 24.
Can't wait for the post on the 24th! Love and hugs
ReplyDeleteKaren (KK)
Thanks for the update! We're thrilled for yall! Keep us all posted!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy to know all is going well! Thanks for the updates... grapefruit with brown sugar is delicious, and even better with a marischino cherry in the middle (compliments of Granny Nance!)
ReplyDeleteBryan and Emily, So happy for you. What a blessing. Thank you for sharing your wonderful journey of life with us. We are praying for all of you.
ReplyDeleteYou will need to post your Gantt Chart and update us if you meet the deadlines. We were a little bit too aggressive on our project schedule. Nonetheless it was all ready and waiting with plenty of time.
ReplyDelete