I don't think I liked registering for wedding gifts any better. But, I'll say the major difference between the two is that I actually knew what to do with the stuff we'd get for our wedding.
Being completely honest here - there were so many things in Babies R Us that I was totally overwhelmed. In fact, there were apparatuses that did things I couldn't even imagine needed to be done, and took up more space than a Ford Expedition.
Me: "Where do you put this?"
Emily: "In his bottom"
Me: "Won't he get upset?"
Emily: "Most likely"
I would have never dreamed that in the context of children, that's a perfectly acceptable and sanctioned conversation. I won't even get into discussing all the aisles of breast feeding instruments and associated paraphernalia. In my head I'm desperately wanting to ask "and what is THIS for?" - but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I thought I would just commit whatever it was to memory and I would google it back at home in a safe, non-judgemental environment. But, like most things, I forgot what I wanted to look up about 15 minutes after leaving the store. And there was no way I was going to write any of it down fearing I would get pulled over on the way home and I'd have to empty out my pockets - "What sort of pervert has x, and y, and z written on a paper and carries it around???" says the policeman. No thanks.
Are we minimalists? For sure I am. I don't think you need 10 of anything. Is Emily? She doesn't label herself as one, but she will admit she doesn't like excess. So, should be some common ground. In the case of this production (and I say production because we were running around the store putting on a show called "Two New Parents, Can't you Tell?") - I continually was asking "How many bibs is this kid going to need?" I am not going to bother asking others how many bibs a kid needs, because as I have come to learn no one can agree on anything (for the most part) where it concerns kids and their stuff.
Is our registering done? I would say no. Am I done with it? Absolutely. I just hope one day when we are putting said implement in a place our son doesn't like so much - that he will realize that I asked the necessary questions - and apparently that was what we were supposed to do. So, ahead of time, I'll say "Im sorry Ben!"
You must be overwhelmed, you even spelled the name of the store incorrectly. It's Babies R Us! :)
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading this and can totally relate. Justin just enjoyed being in charge of the gun. He didn't understand any of the items!!!
I laughed out loud (literally) when I read you were going to google it in a safe, non-judgemental environment. Your days of googling are just beginning :)
ReplyDelete