Tuesday, March 1, 2011

It's been awhile...

As I've said before, we aren't so good at the journaling thing. But, if it helps, we've said lots of times that we need to get something out there. Only problem is we just say it to ourselves and it never gets done.  Oh well.

So, a lot has happened since our last post.  In a nut shell:

Benjamin was born on July 8, 2010 - a week early. Emily was in pre-labor most of the afternoon on July 7, and her water broke at 1215am on July 8 (funny story about that). Since her water broke we went in and Benjamin was born at 11:14am.  Labor was fine, and she only had to push four times before the little man made his appearance.  He weighed 7lbs 3oz, was 20 inches long and had really dark hair, with big hands and big feet.  So, take all those details in mind when you look at his photo.

So the funny story on the whole water-breaking.  To know us is to know our dogs. And to know our dogs is to know Levi.  Best I can describe him is he's a wiener dog that looks like a black seal.   I actually got that from Blaire, and Im using it because it's pretty accurate. In fact, he's a seal with alopecia - which is a genetic problem that black & tan dachsunds can have.  In addition to the not-so-nice trait of smelling like fritos when sleeping. So, what we have here is a black, seal-looking-balding-frito-smelling wiener dog. Far more nice to look at than he sounds, but I digress.  Problem with Levi is the limited hair he does have doesn't keep him warm enough at night. So, we have just relegated ourselves that at some point in the night, he's going to find his way to our bed and go under the covers to the bottom (while we are sleeping). No, I don't want a dog in my bed - just in case you are wondering. Well, let's just say when Levi chose to maneuver under the covers on the night of July 7, he had no idea what he was in for.  When Emily shook my arm to tell me her water broke - the scene was as follows: Emily standing up running to the bathroom - leaking.  Levi, sitting on the floor - completely soaked - totally freaked. Yes my friends - put two and two together.  Now, any time you get a drop of water near Levi he practically has a nervous breakdown.

On a more serious and less vile note, Ben is doing great.  He's enjoying his "school" and is just about ready to crawl. A lot has happened in between the time of his birth and now, but I won't get into all those past details.  I'm making all his baby food (Brian) where it makes sense, and I've enjoyed it. He loves squash, sweet potatos, carrots, broccoli, blueberries, apples, and pears. Does not like bananas, peas, apricots or rice cereal by itself.  He's got dada down pat, and mama when he wants to be comforted. Other than that he screams and laughs and does other stuff that seemed funny at the time - but is less so when writing about it. I am trying to speak Spanish to him most of the time, and we read books in Spanish, too.  I have to say he's a really good-natured and happy kid. I really have nothing to complain about, other than to say I feel more tired with him at this age then when he was an infant.

Our prayer is that we consistently meet Benjamin right where he is - always celebrating how God made him and being the parents God would have us be.

No comments:

Post a Comment